Sunday, April 4, 2010

Quilts for Kids - One quilt done!

  • http://www.quiltsforkids.org/Threw an awesome sweet 16 party for my daughter friday: check!
  • Pieced & quilted the Quilts for Kids quilt Saturday: Check!
Putting a quilt kit together is a breeze! This is my first kit, and the fact that I didn't have to measure or cut was really a pleasant experience. There were only a few scraps left over, too - and I'm glad there was something left over, because I want to make a "keepsake" block for a journal quilt - something someone in one of the guilds I belong to does for the quilts she doesn't keep, and I think it's a great idea.



I still have to make a second quilt to ship back with the first one. I will most likely use cat-themed fabric (since I have a LOT of that, and this quilt is dog-themed), but I'm not sure I'll duplicate this pattern or make something else. This is a very simple pattern and I assembled it in about 2 hours. It took about 6 hours to quilt it. My spring-action foot broke about halfway through quilting it, too - the bar that activates the spring and raising the foot off the fabric snapped off (maybe because I put it on wrong this time? I don't know). I'm somewhat upset about it because it's much harder to use this way, and the foot wasn't cheap.

I may wimp out and just do another of the same pattern, because I have a third baby quilt to make for the High School Tricky Tray raffle next month, and they are getting antsy about gathering the gifts together, and I just have to get these done.

And if you want to participate in Quilts for Kids, visit this website: http://www.quiltsforkids.org/  and order your kit!

No comments:

Post a Comment